Thursday, November 20, 2008

Great Northern Bean Stew


This soup has an awesome sweet and sour flavor, it doesn't have much broth to it, so it's kind of like a stew too. My whole family loves it, and I love that it's a quick meal! -Sarah

I like this soup with more sweetness and I add at least 1/4 cup brown sugar to the soup.  I also add more cabbage when I make it, usually at least 5 cups.  -Kristin


1 pound smoked sausage, chopped
1 cup diced onion
1 cup sliced carrots
3 cups chopped cabbage
1 T. brown sugar
1/2 t. paprika
1/2 t. thyme leaves
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 T. vinegar
1/4 t. Red Hot
1 T. dried parsley
2, 14 1/2 oz. cans diced tomatoes, not drained
2, 15 oz. can Great Northern Beans, not drained
  • Brown sausage and onion, add carrots and cabbage, cook until cabbage is wilted. Add brown sugar and seasonings, cook a few more minutes. Add tomatoes and beans, cover and simmer at least 15 minutes. Check spices, sometimes I add more brown sugar or more vinegar, and more Red Hot is great too!

No comments: