Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sarah's Family Classic 5 Hour Beef Stew

When I was growing up this was beef stew, a tomato based, slightly sweet & hearty dish. I didn't know until I met my husband that most beef stew's have a gravy base. This recipe is great for Sunday mornings, pop it in the oven, and it's ready when you get home from church. Smells like home to me when this is in the oven! -Sarah

2-3 pounds boneless bottom round, or chuck roast, cut in 1 inch cubes
5 medium potatoes, pared and cut into chunks
5 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1 large onion chopped into wedges
1 c. celery chopped into chunks
2 (14 1/2 oz.) cans stewed tomatoes
1 1/2 t. sugar
1 1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
2 T. quick cooking tapioca

Combine all and put in 9x13 pan. Cover and bake at 275 for 5 hours.

No comments: