Sunday, October 12, 2008

Red Beans with Rice

This is another recipe from a friend (Shannon), I think it's the best beans and rice recipe that I've ever tried. It makes a lot, and it freezes well. Tasty and cheap, my kind of meal! -Sarah

3 cups dried small red beans
6 cups water
  • Rinse and pick through beans. Soak over night, in 8 cups water.
  • Drain and place in large crock pot with following ingredients:
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion, chopped
8 cups fresh water
1-2 ham hocks
  • Cover and cook on high 10-12 hours,in a large crock pot, until ham hocks are tender.
  • Remove meat from ham hocks and add to beans with remaining ingredients:
3/4 cup ketchup
2 t. salt
pinch pepper
2 t. cumin
1 T. parsley
2 bay leaves
  • Cook on high 2-3 more hours, leaving the lid off toward the end if it's too soupy, the mixture will thicken up a bit as it cools.
  • Serve over cooked rice.
*I always keep the bone from the butt hams that I cook, just freeze them in a Ziploc bag and throw them in the beans when it's time (thawed). I try to leave some meat on the bone.

No comments: