3/4 c. milk (2% or whole)
3/4 c. water
1/4 c. butter
3 c. whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour
3/4 c. instant mashed potato flakes
1/4 c. nonfat dry milk powder
3 T. sugar
2 1/4 t. quick-rising active dry yeast
1 1/4 t. salt
1 egg yolk
1 egg white, whisked with 1 T. water (for glaze)
3-5 T. oatmeal
- Bring milk and water to simmer in a small pan.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted. Bring the mixture down to 120-130 F.
- Meanwhile, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Add the warm milk mixture to the dry ingredients along with the egg yolk.
- Knead mixture in bowl until dough comes together, (dough will be sticky).
- Turn out onto floured work surface and knead until very smooth, elastic and no longer sticky. (About 8 minutes) *Or just use stand up mixer.
- Place dough in a buttered bowl and cover with plastic wrap and then a kitchen towel. Set in a warm, draft free place and let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours till doubled.
- Butter 13x9x2 baking sheet.
- Turn dough onto floured surface and divide in half and then each half into 4 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into almost smooth ball.
- Arrange dough rounds 4 lengthwise and 4 crosswise rows in prepared pan.
- Cover with kitchen towel and let rise till almost doubled and expanded to where they touch each other, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Brush the egg white mixture all over the rolls and then sprinkle with the oatmeal.
- Bake for 28 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes before removing.