This is the best tuna noodle casserole I have ever had. I love that it is made all from scratch and yet so easy...and very frugal too! I adapted this recipe from a cooking blog called Tammy's Recipes. -Kristin
12 ounces egg noodles (or 8 ounces small pasta)
2 (6 oz.) cans of tuna, drained
1 onion, chopped
3 T. butter
2 T. all purpose flour
2 c. milk
1 t. salt
dash of pepper
2-3 c. shredded cheddar (or a combo of mozzarella and cheddar)
- Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter and saute onion in it until softened.
- Then stir in flour to make a thick paste.
- Whisk in the milk and salt.
- Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Mix together the cooked noodles, the sauce and half of the cheese. Pour into a greased 11x7.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever
Easy One-Pot: Frugal Recipes for Busy Cooks (Easy (Ryland Peters & Small))
The Frugal Foodie Cookbook: Waste-Not Recipes for the Wise Cook