Monday, August 9, 2010

Oven-Fried Chicken


I've held onto this recipe that I cut from a magazine for quite some time. I believe it's from a Martha Steward magazine, but I could be wrong. I've never made the real deal fried chicken before, the oil kind of scares me, and it just sounds like a big mess. This recipe was great. We all loved the flavor of the chicken and thought the skin was super crispy, it's a recipe I'll use again for sure! -Sarah

2 eggs, beaten
3 T. hot sauce of your choice
2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
About 10 pieces of chicken (I used legs and thighs)
1/2 cup sifted flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. paprika
1/4 t. cayenne
oil for brushing

  • Mix eggs, hot sauce and garlic. Marinade chicken in mixture for about 8 hours.
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place a rimmed baking sheet on center rack in oven to preheat.
  • Mix the flour and remaining dry ingredients.
  • Remove chicken from marinade and roll each piece in the flour mixture. Place chicken on preheated baking sheet.
  • Bake for 20 minutes, lightly brush each piece of chicken with oil. Bake, brushing tops every 10 minutes until chicken juices run clear. About 30 minutes more. (I moved mine to a lower rack in the oven to keep from over browning) 

No comments: