1/2 cup warm water
2 tablespoons yeast
2 tablespoons sugar or honey
- Mix together and let yeast dissolve for a few minutes.
2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons melted butter or oil
2 teaspoons salt
- Add to yeast water mixture.
6-7 cups flour
2 T. milk
sesame seeds or poppy seeds
- Stir in as much of the 6 cups of flour as you can. Knead in remaining flour by hand or with a dough hook on mixer. Using additional flour as needed.
- Roll dough into ball and place in a greased bowl, turning over to grease top of ball.
- Let rise, at room temperature, 30-60 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Divide dough in half, using a rolling pin ,roll dough out to a large oval. Roll up lengthwise and place on greased cookie sheet.
- With a sharp knife make diagonal slits in top of bread. Let rise about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- In a small bowl beat together the egg and milk. Brush over loaves and sprinkle with seeds.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. (the original recipe calls for a 15-20 minute baking time but that was too much for me, depends on how fat your loaves are too)