Thursday, August 13, 2009

Armenian Pilaf


This is another great recipe from my friend Jennifer. She and her husband spent some time as missionaries in Jordan and they have some great ethnic recipes! This is a great side dish because it's tasty, filling and cheap! I buy the vermicelli coils at a Middle Eastern grocery store, this recipe is so worth the effort of finding them!-Sarah

2 cups white rice
2 T. butter or oil
2 coils of vermicelli
4 cups chicken broth

  • Rinse rice until water runs clear.
  • Bring broth to a boil. (I use water and bullion)
  • Heat butter or oil in a pan. Add crushed vermicelli and brown, being careful not to burn.
  • Quickly add rice and boiling broth. Cover with lid and turn heat to low. Lightly simmer for 20-30 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
(I usually add about 1 t. of salt to the broth, depending on how strong I make it.)

No comments: