Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Apricot Delight

I found this recipe in an old family cookbook. It was called Apricot Cheese Delight but I couldn't figure out the cheese part because there isn't any in the recipe. I did some searching and found that the original recipe called for cheddar cheese to be sprinkled over top. My Aunt must have decided this wasn't a great addition and dropped it from the recipe, without changing the name. I decided to try it the way she submitted it in the cookbook and change the name, my family wasn't thrilled about the idea of cheese on this, but we all loved the delicious jello recipe!-Sarah

15 oz. apricots, drained and chopped *reserve juice
20 oz. crushed pineapple, drained *reserve juice
6 oz. orange Jello
2 cups boiling water
3/4 cup mini marshmallows

  • Dissolve Jello in water and add 1 cup of the reserved juice. Chill until slightly thickened.
  • Fold in fruit and marshmallows. Pour into lightly greased 7x11 pan. Chill until firm and spread with fruit topping. 
fruit topping:
1/3 cup sugar
3 T. flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup reserved juice 
2 T. butter
half of 8 oz. container Cool Whip
  • Combine sugar, flour, egg and juice in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat until thickened, stir in butter. Cool and fold in Cool Whip.
  • Spread over Jello and chill until firm. 
*The reserved fruit juice should be 2 cups total. Make note that 1 cup is used in the jello and the other cup is used in the topping.

6 comments:

suzcomptime said...

Just came across this. My family has been making this recipe for years. The only difference is we do not have marshmallows in the jello and we use 1 c. heavy or whipping cream whipped instead of the Cool Whip. We do however add the cheese on top which is 6 oz of finely shredded mild cheddar. I use a Saladmaster cone #1 to get it finely shredded. It adds great flavor and is a family tradition that has migrated into the various in-law's families. It's important that the cheese be mild and finely shredded to go with the sweet base & topping.

Sarah said...

Very interesting! Maybe we should try it with the cheese some time! Thanks for commenting.

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Baybluesgirl said...

I thought the icing on top was actually a cream cheese frosting! That's how my sister in law made them. No?

Unknown said...

Okokokok hear me out. My aunt makes this every year for easter and our family has always used PARMESAN cheese sprinkled on the top and I promise you it goes so well

Unknown said...

My aunt Mable gave this recipe to my mother back in th 60's.
It has been a go to for many occasions.
Love the cheese.