4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
2.5 pounds ground turkey breast
1 c. chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c. chili powder
2 T. cumin
2 t. dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1/2 t. salt
2 (28 oz) cans diced tomatoes
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
3 c. chicken broth
2 (15 oz) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
shredded cheddar, to garnish with
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add the turkey and cook until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in pot and saute the onion and garlic until tender and golden, about 4 minutes.
- Return turkey to pot and stir in the seasonings.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Bring to boil then reduce to low heat and simmer partially covered for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. (the longer the better!)
- Discard the bay leaves and serve.