1 1/4 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk (or just sour milk: add 1 T. lemon juice in a one cup measure and then fill the rest of the way up with milk)
1/2 cup oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a muffin pan or line with paper or foil baking cups.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, combine the wet ingredients.
- Pour wet mixture into dry and stir until just combined. Don’t overmix or you will have flat, dense muffins.
- Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full and bake for 11-14 minutes, until muffins are golden brown and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.