2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced (about 2 cups)
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
3 (or more) cups diced butternut squash
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 (or more) teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 (or more) teaspoons salt
black pepper, to taste
3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (or to taste)
5 ounces baby spinach, diced
- Heat oil in a pan and add onion and garlic. Sauté for 3- 5 minutes until onion is softened.
- Add the squash and sweet potato along with a pinch of salt and sauté a few minutes longer.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes, coconut milk, lentils, tomato paste, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Increase heat and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, stir, and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes until the squash and potato are fork tender.
- Reduce heat to low and add the apple cider vinegar.
- Stir in the spinach.
- Serve over rice.