Sunday, February 20, 2011

Turkey or Chicken Chowder

I think this just became my kids favorite soup...and one of mine too!  This is so good, comforting and hearty!  This is another wonderful recipe given to me from my friend Janice...on her recipe she has written Psalm 145:3 - Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised- His greatness is unsearchable!  I thought that would be nice to share and remember too!!!    This is D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!  Makes 6 servings.  -Kristin


2 cups cubed potatoes
10 oz. package frozen Lima beans
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. sliced celery
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cups chicken broth or water
1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. poultry seasoning
1/4 t. garlic salt
1/8 t. pepper
8-10 oz. fine to medium egg noodles, OPT. (If using increase water by 24 oz. and add 1 1/2 t. chicken boullion)
1 1/2 - 2 cups cooked, chopped turkey or chicken

Optional Topping: Shredded cheddar cheese

  • In a saucepan combine the potatoes, Lima beans, onion, celery and salt.
  • Blend the chicken soup with the water and add to the vegetables.
  • Stir in the remaining ingredients besides the turkey or chicken.
  • Cover and cook for 35-45 minutes until the vegetables are tender.  Stir occasionally and if using the egg noodles periodically check the liquid and add some water if it is too thick.  I found it to be just perfect with the amounts that I listed.  Just make sure to stir occasionally and turn down the heat if necessary.
  • Uncover and stir in the turkey or chicken.  Simmer for a few minutes.
  • Ladle into bowls and top with shredded cheese if desired.

No comments: