3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 t. salt
3 cups milk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons butter
8 ounce Vanilla Wafers divided
4 very ripe bananas, sliced
3 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
1/4 cup sugar
- In a saucepan whisk together the sugar, flour and salt.
- Whisk in the milk
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Whisk in a small amount of hot mixture into the eggs and then return all to pan whisking constantly.
- Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and butter.
- Let it cool at least 15 minutes.
- In an ungreased 8 inch square baking dish, layer half of the wafers, half of banana slices and half of the pudding. Repeat layers.
- To make Meringue topping: Beat the egg whites with the cream of tarter until soft peaks form. Then add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Put meringue on top of pudding.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned.
- Serve warm or cooled.