8 oz. smoked sausage
2 T. olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes w/ green chillies
4 cups chicken broth
16 oz. egg noodles (or other pasta)
6 cups fresh spinach
2 cups shredded Monterrey jack cheese
2 green onions, (opt.)
- Thinly slice the sausage and add to large skillet with the olive oil.
- Saute until nicely browned. (about 5-7 minutes) Drain off excess fat.
- Add onion to skillet and saute till softened.
- Add the tomatoes and chicken broth. Stir to combine and dissolve any browned bits on the bottom of skillet.
- At this point transfer to large pot (unless your skillet is really large) and add the uncooked pasta and make sure it is all submerged under the liquid. Place a lid on and allow the mixture to come to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, turn the heat down to low and let simmer until pasta is tender. Stir once and awhile to make sure pasta is not sticking to the bottom of pan.
- When pasta is at desired tenderness add the spinach one cup at a time and stir until wilted.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top and stir in if desired.
- Top with green onions and serve.