Sunday, February 7, 2010

Homemade Cream of Chicken

I have made this recipe several times and it always turns out great to put into dishes that call for it.  This is a treasured recipe of mine because I do not handle MSG products well.  A single batch of this makes about 3 cups.  A can of cream of chicken is about 1 1/4 cups.  I usually double this and freeze it in can sizes.  Then when I need it, I just defrost it in the microwave.  -Kristin

1 1/2 c. chicken broth
1/2 t. poultry seasoning
1/4 t. onion powder (or, 1/2 t. minced dried onion, or finely diced onions)
1/4 t. garlic powder (or fresh minced garlic)
1/8 t. black pepper
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. parsley
1 1/2 c. milk
3/4 c. flour
  • Bring to boil 1/2 c. milk and the broth along with all the seasonings.  Boil for a minute or two.  Boil longer if using fresh onions or garlic.
  • In a bowl whisk together remaining 1 cup of milk and the flour. 
  • Add to the boiling mixture, whisking until it boils and thickens.

No comments: