1/2 cup raisins
2 cups whole wheat flour, traditional or white whole wheat
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups carrots, peeled and grated
1/3 c. crushed pineapple
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup wheat bran or germ, optional
2/3 cup vegetable or coconut oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup pineapple or orange juice
- In a small bowl, cover the raisins with hot water, and set them aside to soak while you assemble the rest of the recipe.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- Stir in the carrots, crushed pineapple, coconut, nuts, and wheat germ or bran.
- In a separate bowl combine remaining ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture and combine well.
- Spray muffin tins. This recipe makes 18 muffins. Bake at 375 for 18-24 minutes or till done.